Calling a golfer a hacker is not the most flattering of terms, but it’s offered here with affection and appreciation to the more than 70 hackers who participated in WEDA’s Summer Golf Classic.
To help you think of something other than being cold, here’s a summer rewind of an association golf outing held at Falcon Lakes Golf Club in Basehor, Kansas. The event was a fundraiser for the Western Equipment Dealers Foundation, which supports the Agricultural Technician Program at OSUIT and provides scholarship funds to students enrolled in agricultural studies.
Jennifer Orr, WEDA’s member services manager, said an early morning start to the event allowed participants to finish their rounds and get inside before the searing heat of last August took hold. Once inside, golfers were treated to lunch, and prizes were presented to the top teams and individual performers.
“We raised more than $17,000 for the Western Equipment Dealers Foundation at Falcon Lakes,” said Orr. “We also had the support of some amazing sponsors.”
A generous act
One sponsor, West Texas National Bank, was unable to fill out all of its teams. At the lender’s request, Orr was asked to invite local first responders… and they responded to this act of generosity.
Recipients of the WTNB’s generosity were Chris Carroll, Steve Pope, Brian Taylor, Ryan Johnson, Jim Walsh, Travis Adamson, Jorge Barajas, and Tyler Walters of the Kansas City Kansas Fire Department and one flight took home top honors. Now that is truly amazing.
Here is a list of the winners and their sponsors.
- 1st Place Flight A: Chris Carroll, Steve Pope, Brian Taylor, and Ryan Johnson, Kansas City Kansas Fire Department members, invited and sponsored by West Texas National Bank
- 2nd Place Flight A: Ryan Hough, Bobby Partin, Sean Weyrich, and Jake Van Horn, John Deere
- 1st Place Flight B: Mark Smith, Cole Miller, Weston Winfrey, and Steve Morgan, Ag Direct
- 2nd Place Flight B: Richard Dugan, Jerry Jackson, Dustin Scott and Adam Turner, KanEquip
- Longest Drive–Ladies: Jennie Halverson, Fern Expo Services
Longest Drive–Men: Anthony Dahl, Foley Equipment
- Longest Putt: Jerry Leemkuil, Federated Insurance
- Closest to the Pin: Bobby Partin, John Deere
The Western Equipment Dealers Association is also grateful to the volunteers who made the golf outing run smoothly. Greg and Loretta Russell of A.C. Printing manned the big hole-in-one hole. Danny Coon and David Martin of OSUIT were also on hand to coordinate the Bubba Watson fun hole.
The golfers… and their winnings
Before heading to the winner’s circle, golfers had to hack their way from one hole to the next.